Who Will Cry for the Little Boy? By Antwone Fisher

[ 45 ] November 26, 2007 |

Antwone Fisher is a great poet, and one of my favorites. I’ve read his book and own his poetry book. If you haven’t read them I strongly recommend you do.

Who will cry for the little boy?
By Antwone Fisher

who will cry for the little boy?
Lost and all alone.
Who will cry for the little boy?
Abandoned without his own?

Who will cry for the little boy?
He cried himself to sleep.
Who will cry for the little boy?
He never had for keeps.

Who will cry for the little boy?
He walked the burning sand
Who will cry for the little boy?
The boy inside the man.

Who will cry for the little boy?
Who knows well hurt and pain
Who will cry for the little boy?
He died again and again.

Who will cry for the little boy?
A good boy he tried to be
Who will cry for the little boy?
Who cries inside of me

by Antwone Fisher from Who Will Cry for the Little Boy?

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 4.7/5 (272 votes cast)
Who Will Cry for the Little Boy? By Antwone Fisher, 4.7 out of 5 based on 272 ratings

Category: Antwone Fisher Poems, Famous Poetry

About Matthew Henrickson: View author profile.

Comments (45)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. [...] then he has written great poetry like Who Will Cry For the Little Boy. His poetry book is very meaningful and I would recommend it to [...]

2. That Is My Favorite Poem In The World.

3. I love The poem!!!!

4. Christopher says:

God bless you Antwon fisher.

5. Reemyy says:

I just watched the movie today, it was the first time though. That poem touched me deep inside. I just love it!

6. Brenda says:

Antwone have been so blessed to feel beyond his hurt and pain! What a gift from “God”!

7. matt says:

It’s a powerful moment when he reads the poem out loud in the movie

8. mostafa says:

it’s a sad poem.i loved it.

9. Markus says:

Poem really touched me, reall powerful and meaningfull // markus from sweden

10. Barb Pruitt says:

I am watching the movie based on Antwone’s life with Denzel Washington. His childhood much like my own. My poetry much like his. ‘Who Will Cry for the Little Boy’ is an extraordinary poem. It shuddered my soul and tightened my throat. I’m glad I found Antwone.

11. melina says:

i actually know exactly where his heart was when he wrote this poem. But for him to actually express it… was sooo strong of him. i cry everytime i see that movie and hear him read that poem… very touching. and helped me help some of my deepest hurts inside from my own past experiences. thank you for sharing your heart and story antwone

12. lahja says:

this poem by antwone fisher is like the best poem i have ever read…..it’s beautiful and i can feel his pain just reading the poem alone. he deff.. has my apr. he is a great poet!!!!!!!!

13. lahja says:

wow every since i was a little girl i have always loved watching the movie and 1 of my fav parts was wen he read the poem aloud…cuz i always cried,,> but no that im older than that,, its deeper than that and i finally really understand the poem….because i can also relate to it in my own wayz….

14. Kamren R. says:

that is the best song i have ever heard im my entire life i recommend it to every person young or old

15. David says:

The poem is one of the most inspratinal ones that i have ever read.

16. David says:

This poem has been an inspiration to me everyday. I repeat it at least once a-day and it helps me cope with things. It has helped me calm down 2when I was incarcerated in jail for a year and a half. And if it helped me ands brought peace to me I am positive that it will do the same for you!

17. Veronica Russell says:

Way to go Antoine. I felt your pain. I was abused as a child too and know exactly where you are coming from. Stay strong brother.

18. Ognjen says:

Antwone Fisher is one of my favourite movies,and the scene when he reads the poem is so emotional…you can feel that he wrote it from his heart…Antwone Fisher is a great man!

19. Audriayna says:

Antwone you are awesome man to come through souce a trobled childhood. I reward you everytime I read about you and what blessing you brought to others I cry because I know I’m not alone.My life was like your I was foster Care for 18 years since I was two yrs of age as will as my brothers. My was a crackhead and prositute and still is to this day I went back home only to find more hurt and pain but I writing this cause you are my hero it tell me if you can over come I can to I’m 21 yrs old

20. chan says:

Just finnished the movie today and inspired me to go and find my father when i’m older. The poem was touching and it was great. I think he should start a class for young poets.

21. samia says:

what an amaizing poem every time i hear Derek saing these words i cry like a baby i looooooooooove it & i recpect u Antowne alot >>>> god pless u >> samia from sudan

22. Stephanie Jordan says:

Ive read this poem many times throught the years.. Iam no poet by far..these are just my feelings..

Who will cry for the little boy, who was my brother.. Your sister will because she was the other..
    The one who was filled with confusion and fear..
    The one she beside you who could see and hear..
    She can see the boy inside the man..She knows all too well what you had to withstand..Your hurt and pain was also felt by another..Iam your sister and your my borhter..So the tears that I shed..not only for me but both of us instead..

Stephanie…

23. zach says:

Antwone while i was never abused as a child nor did i live a life in foster care i can relate to story in the deepest way possible. i’m 17 years old and have a 4 year old kid who sadly i’ve never met but deeply want to. i live the flip side to your story. everyday i think about him/her but because a women far stronger then me didnt want to ruin my life didnt tell anyone i was the father and since she was 5 months pregnant havent talked though i try to find her. i find inspiration in your story that even if i cant find them, they’ll find me. while only 17 i’ve lived a full life of sadness from being a father to being addicted to cough medicine to getting shot at with a shotgun by a crackhead missing my head by 2 inches. like you i find strength in fighting. while i’m not a poet and dont pretend to be one i do have some words i wrote that help me threw the hard times.
    ” reading i should die before 21 the way i live my life lets me sleep threw all the shit in my life. hearing i wont be shit in life helps me threw it and keeps me hurgry. knowing i’m destinied to fail is the most sobering feeling on earth and one i thrive on. telling you this makes no difference cause I WILL FAIL, I WONT BE SHIT, and I WILL DIE. telling me this makes all the difference in the world cause I WILL DIE old and successful, I WONT BE SHIT u avoid, and I WILL FAIL at being wat you think i’ll be.”

24. mike lynch says:

Incredible poem….touched me deeply to the depths of the soul of who I am and how i grew up!….thank you!

25. BELINDA says:

THIS IS A AWESOME POEM!!
    THIS POEM SHOULD ALS BE FOR A GIRL.

26. BELINDA says:

I MISSED TYPED ALSO(GIRL)
    This poem should be for a girl.

27. Toni Jarvis says:

I love, love love this movie. Great acting and directing. I would like to mention that I have been doing treatment foster care for the last 11 years and I often see Antwone in the children who come into my home. However, the abuse comes at the hands of the parents, mostly.

I do hope that everyone realizes that not all foster parents are “evil” and that the ones depicted in this movie are not the norm. I love my work and am proud to say that most of the kids that have been through my home stay in touch with me.

28. imani says:

this is my favorite poem in the enire world i love thsi movie to oh and this is th first movie that i have ever cired on i cried on the part where his friend got shot juss think how u would have felt.

29. amina says:

i can relate to your movie.i was sexual abuse by my first cousin at age 11.my mother didnt raise me.i am still going threw hurt in my life.now i am gay.i ask my self why did i deserve this.i am 33 yr old and still dnt know what to do with my life.i love your movie.i am thinking about writeing my book to.

30. reuben says:

By the time i watched the movy, i felt highly sentimental especially the time fisher read the poem aloud. Great work fisher, more grease to ur elbow.

31. iAmAVoice says:

i just watched the movie today and cant help but to see the little boy he was in the begining, the boy that was so afraid and didnt know where to go or what to do, grow into the strong courageous man he wanted to become by facing his past that he’d been running from for so long. Antwone Fisher is nothing short of a modern day poet amoung men who was brave enough to not only share his poetry with us, but his life also. That is why I congradulate him and his bravery. Good work, and keep going Antwone. May your name travel through the ages.

32. I connect/relate a lot with the poem and the whole movie its so nice and emotional thanks what can I say but who will cry for the little boy inside the man! Thanks

33. Chioma says:

I loved the film immensly that after it i googled Antwone Fisher just to read more about his life. God destined you to be great and nothing could have brought you down.

34. AlexDavis says:

By no means does my life relate to Fishers life but somehow someway his life story touches me deepdown. I feel lost at times and when he read that peom I couldn’t help but cry a little. So sensational

35. Dedra says:

I love this poem I can relate

36. Thuku wa Njuguna says:

He finally finds the person,
    Who will cry for the Little Boy,
    In himself…..
    When he finds himself.

37. I just watched the whole movie today 2/12/12 (the day after Whitney Houston’s death-MAY SHE REST IN PEACE) I DO NOT RECALL CRYING SO HARD WHILE WATCHING A MOVIE? My maternal LOVE IS OFF OF ANY SCALE! This AWESOME CHILD-TEENAGER-YOUNG MAN-GROWN MAN HAD NOT FELT ANY LOVE-NONE-UNTIL 26 YEARS OF AGE? Yet he accomplished SO VERY MUCH. Yes he was surrounded by OUR FATHER’S LOVE! I just cannot get the not knowing love part???? I cannot find rythme or reason how this AMAZING MAN COULD FUNCTION WITHOUT LOVE? ANTWONE FISHER YOU HAVE INSPIRED ME TO SEARCH MY BODY-MIND-SOUL-AND I CRIED FOR THAT LITTLE BOY Words are not to be found as to what a TRUE INSPIRATION YOU ARE-MAY GOD ALWAYS GUIDE YOU ALONG YOUR JOURNEY DOWN LIFE’S PATH & MAY YOU BE WRAPPED IN ANGEL’S WING’S IF YOU EVER FEEL ALONE AGAIN

38. Sundai says:

i luv dis poem wth a passion we all can relate tew dis

39. Ghazali says:

what can i say that poem made me cry!

40. Rose says:

This so touched my heart, only I can relate as a little girl but a woman now who never grew up without being loved.

41. Rose says:

Let me correct what I just wrote, I grew up never being loved. I have 2 beautiful girls who are everything to me!

42. Tracey says:

Oh what a mighty god we serve ppl if you have seen this movie or read the book you will see that when you think your life is sooo bad think about what this young man had togo threw and how he made it oh thank you lord your life really is not that bad. My heart fell for him so antwoin to answer your question who will cry for the little boy we will,those who have seen the movie or read the book we will and have cried for the little boy keep the faith and god has seen you threw.

43. nomcebo says:

Beautiful movie couldn’t stop my self crying. Today i am relieved to know that i am not the only one who felt this way .Thank you don’t know how much hope & strength you have given me.

44. Paulette says:

I watched things AGAIN tonight for the umptenth time but with a different eye. This time I watched it for the boys in my car e, so many lost souls. I plan to give copies of the poem out as soon as I can make them. God cried the little boy as He protected his soul, it’s how he was able to stay strong.