ATL Movie Poem Loves Deceit by Big Rube

[ 39 ] December 22, 2008 |

Update: Many people seem to know the general idea, but still don’t fully get it. I wrote my own Interpretation of Loves Deceit. I tried to break it down the best I could and understood.

If you’ve seen ATL you know it has a dramatic ending. “Uncle George” recites a nice poem called Loves Deceit by Big Rube. Big Rube is a rapper from Atlanta and has done more poetry on ATL and other places.

“Love’s Deceit”

Pleasure turns to the pain of lessons learned from the strain of the questions burned in my brain about whether love is humane in its touch
These thoughts are like salmon swimming upstream in the tears of your deceit
Fighting a current hurt that kills more than is created by the chaos of our intertwined emotions
Chaotic because the anchor of Eros’ arrow has been plucked from the vessel of my undying infatuation
Separation not as simple as the distance between us
My mind no longer possessed by the demons that had been the overseers of my enslavement to your lies
The seeds of these lies rooted so deeply they’ve cracked the foundation of what we once shared
Allowing the faith in us I had sealed inside to gush out like a river
Ripping the image of our future together from my thoughts as violently and as brutally as if it were a child being taken from its mothers arms
I’m left surrounded in darkness but I refuse to be swallowed by it
My loneliness like night air; invisible to the eye obvious to the touch, in its cold uncomfortable ness
Yet If I could do all over again I’d do it in the same skin I’m in
To lay down and let love die, just stay down and let love lie
No, no, no, no, not I
I’ll stay around and let love fly
Even though I’ve seen its darkest form; deceit
Nothing else could tastes this warm or feel this sweet

by Big Rube

Listen to the poem on Youtube.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 4.5/5 (423 votes cast)
ATL Movie Poem Loves Deceit by Big Rube, 4.5 out of 5 based on 423 ratings

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Famous Poetry

About Matthew Henrickson: View author profile.

Comments (39)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Robert says:

I love poem it hits deep

2. JOhn says:

i think the word used in the movie is “obvious” not “oblivious”…but really nice poem…it just hits you hard…

3. Shenzil says:

This is one of my favorite poems as it illustrates the defining truth of love. Indeed it is deep as well as inspiring. Job well done. From one poetic soul to another

4. matt says:

yes this is a great poem, thanks for commenting. it compliments the movies well

5. yvette says:

if i had to do it all again
    i’d do it in the same skin i’m in
    to lay down and let love die
    to stay down and let love lie
    nah nah not i
    i’ll stay around and let love fly

POWERFUL!!!!!!!!!!

6. Holden says:

can someone explain this poem to me in depth please?

and yes i know it has to do with love

7. Big Rube says:

These are the correct lyrics for my poem.

Love’s Deceit

These thoughts are like salmon swimming upstream in the tears of your deceit
    Separation not as simple as the distance between us
    Allowing the faith in us I had sealed inside to gush out like a river
    I’m left surrounded in darkness but I refuse to be swallowed by it
    Yet If I could do all over again I’d do it in the same skin I’m in
    To lay down and let love die, just stay down and let love lie
    No, no, no, no, not I
    I’ll stay around and let love fly
    Even though I’ve seen its darkest form; deceit
    Nothing else could tastes this warm or feel this sweet

8. matt says:

Wow, thanks for commenting. I adjusted the poem the way you commented.

Thanks again

9. maria says:

BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!

10. MARIA says:

BEAUTIFUL ! im in love with it .
    No, no, no, no, not I
    I’ll stay around and let love fly :]

11. michael lamerson says:

man i love your poems i would like more. one love

12. Frankie says:

I absolutely love this poem. When i first heard it on the movie ATL i didn’t notice it b/c i was so tuned in to the movie.. But when i seen it again i really listen to the words. I researched it and printed it out. It is still hanging on my wall til dis day.. It inspires me. This is a really good poem..

Frankie J..

13. Jairus B. Moore says:

..OMG…this is my most favorite poem of all time..OF ALL TIME!!….Like..reading this poem (along with the situation I’m in at the moment) just made me tear up…like, I almost cried just now..and I’m not even the crying type…..This poem is SO..DEEP & SO..TRUE…Never have a person wrapped up so much emotion in literature…it is 19 lines utter perfection…I LOVE THIS POEM…it really makes me think..especially at a time like this…..
    about a minute ago ·

14. munya says:

this is a classic that will stand in time….

…even though iv seen its darkest form, deceit…

i love this!!!

15. kayla paige says:

i really love this poem i read this every nightt and day

16. chedda chase says:

this poem only make you feel like even though you can deeply fall in love youwill always have to watch your back otherwise you may very well lay down and let love die.

17. Chelsea says:

This poem is one of my favorites. The words seem to have been chosen so carefully. Everything makes sense in the deepest way possible.
    The meaning of it is something warm and powerful.

18. T.D woodson says:

This peom is beyond deep its far gone so true that you feel the words it reality on paper and it my favorite

19. Monique says:

I think this poem is truely outstanding and heart touching and very inspirational

20. Olivia says:

the poem is actually recited by big rube.

21. Akona says:

If is there any chance can you please interpret the poem for me…anyone

22. ivy says:

amazing.deep.

23. marcos says:

i dont like poems i dont like anything like this i like to smoke and drin party you nah mean but this shit rit here touched me

24. MCAdawqq2 says:

HEY umm im using this for my project lol andi dont just like this poem just b/c of the fact that its my homework.. its also the fact that it hits my in the heart lol you know?? mann you the greastest and i mean that.. thankss mann (:

25. Kala Hartsfield says:

I understand the poem talks about love and also being lied to but could someone please interpret the poem more in depth and in lamen terms

26. I wrote my own interpretation that you can find here:

Feel free to email me anytime with any questions you may have. I will do my best to answer them.

27. Britney says:

I never really like poetry but once i heard this in ATL , the best movie in the world, i just had to find the author behind these deep words. You did phenonmemal job Big Rube ! I loveeeeeee it !

28. tblack...! says:

Big Rube is very talented he out did himself once again….shout out to Ga..!

29. george says:

When was this poem published.

30. Cori Jenkins says:

Hehehe that’s my uncle teddy :3

31. man this is the best poem in the world this dude here is very talanted and i hope im not sound homoish or anything but i like the peom.

*Yet If I could do all over again I’d do it in the same skin I’m in
    To lay down and let love die, just stay down and let love lie
    No, no, no, no, not I
    I’ll stay around and let love fly*
    best part of the peom

32. Tiny says:

This Poem is so good that the first time i ever heard it i started to cry because mi guyfriend said it and he has a very deep voice which gave it more umpf also this peom is so good that I put up on mi wall!!!!!!!!!

33. Kamaria says:

I love this poem. Its so beautiful, I read it every day I wrote it down and I’m not usually into poetry. this is touching :)

34. itsonlymyopinion says:

Middle aged white woman cleaning house turns on TV to whatever channel her niece left it on the night before…going about my cleaning while some movie I know nothing about is playing and then this poem comes on….stops me in my tracks…had to immediately go to the Mac to look it up – Shakespearean quality writing – amazing metaphors – I’m not a fan of rap music but I’d buy a book of poems like this in a heartbeat Big Rube! Just some food for though in your business pursuits. Extremely well done, beautiful!

35. Quinnecia says:

I LOOOOOVVVVEEEEEEE THIS POEM.. AND ON THE MOVIE ATL. I LOVE HOW HE SAYS IT….

36. valerie says:

I’ve felt that kind of love. So when I read this poem it gives me chills

37. cj says:

It’s better to have loved than to never have loved at all
    This poem just goes into depth of love and loss

38. Marshals says:

Took me long to watch the movie and while I was watching and I reached on the Poem part I kept rewinding again and again to enjoy the words…then had to Google them and wooow…Real nice

39. yolanda payotn says:

I love the wisdom that you display in your poetry, we need more positive poems that would make people scratch their heads, its deep brother very deep i look forward to reading more.